Carplay issues are something that definitely worth your attention before you get into your car and start a long drive. We are completely relying on our smartphone to connect with the world and in our car, it’s the infotainment system. With that much of a dependence, we need it to be a reliable and trustworthy solution. You may use CarPlay maps or any CarPlay compatible app with your iPhone and supported head unit. But, imagine you lose your CarPlay support in the middle of nowhere in the long drive on the highway and miss your exit because your map is not responsive? There are many such common CarPlay issues. For instance, CarPlay navigation issues, CarPlay music issues, and CarPlay phone issues could be stated. We are going to address some of the DIY tips and tricks for CarPlay issues which will help you on the way.
Here are some of the issues users faced with latest iOS versions.
iOS 13 CarPlay Issues
iOS 13 was released on 19th September 2019 after an array of beta versions. When examining iOS 13 and it's beta versions, we can identify that it has come up with some issues . Some users have found that there are installation issues, and some have experienced data and wifi connecting issues, also some have noticed that there are bluetooth and battery life issues.
Revert and re installing iOS 13, reconnect from network settings, reducing brightness through settings are some of the tested solutions for these issues. Also I will mention some tips for you at the end of this article.
Also you can read iOS 13 CarPlay issues, solutions , features and everything .
iOS 12 CarPlay Issues
Many iOS 12 users report that they are having CarPlay auto disconnect issues when using the reverse/backup camera. This issue is already reported to Apple so that we hope that it’ll be fixed on iOS 12. iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 6 & iPhone SE users confirmed this iOS 12 CarPlay issue so far.
iOS 11.4 CarPlay Issues
iOS 11.4 users reported that they faced issues such as skipping songs and random disconnections. These issues were presented in iOS 11.3 update too and were fixed in iOS 11.4.1 update.
iOS 11.3 CarPlay Issues
Skipping songs and random disconnections occurred after iOS 11.3 update. But the most annoying issue was, the blurred or distorted voice experienced while using CarPlay phone for a call. You may hear the voice of the other party perfectly but your voice will be distorted. This issue was not fixed even in iOS 11.3.1 However was fixed with iOS 11.4 update.
iPhone X, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPhone 5S users confirmed the issue on Apple community.
CarPlay Connectivity Issues
Have you ever faced the scenario “CarPlay supported, but not working”? It could be due to the CarPlay connectivity issues. I suggest you take a look on How to Set up CarPlay article and make sure that you have followed the steps as it is. After that, continue your reading here as I will guide you through some CarPlay issue fixing tips and tricks.
CarPlay Siri Issues
CarPlay helps drivers to keep eyes on the road, hands on the wheel while being connected and informed of everything. To make that a reality, it integrates one of the smartest Artificial Intelligence based personal assistants, Siri. To work as expected, Siri needs a stable internet connection. Otherwise, functions of Siri will be limited and some features may not work at all.
Therefore, if you feel like Siri is struggling or not working as expected, take a minute and check if your mobile data connection is speed enough for Siri to work. This could happen in long drives as the mobile signal may vary from time to time according to the location.
Wireless CarPlay Issues
Does your car support wireless CarPlay? Lucky for you, you don't have to bring your lightning cable everywhere. However, in most cases, wired CarPlay solution will work better than wireless CarPlay. The reason is, wired CarPlay connection has a better data transfer speed than the wireless CarPlay. Also, wireless CarPlay could expose to some interferences unlike with the cable solution. Therefore, if you ever feel slow response or latency in updates (such as map updates), switch to lightning cable and feel the difference.
Fixes for CarPlay Issues
If you have already faced an issue with your infotainment system or CarPlay, this section is where you look at the first sight or search for. But, I suggest you take a quick read on this article from the beginning, as some iOS version related CarPlay issues have to be fixed by Apple with an update and we can’t do anything about it other than waiting for the official update with the fix.
However, for many CarPlay related common issues and questions, these tips will work like a charm. These tips are not in a sequential order and you can use as you wish.
- Tip 1: Restart your iPhone and the car. if this is your first time with CarPlay, make sure that your car or aftermarket infotainment system supports CarPlay.
- Tip 2: Use Apple certified lightning cable. Some cheaper lightning cables do not support higher data transfer speeds.
- Tip 3: Check if your infotainment system has a dedicated USB port for CarPlay support. CarPlay will not work with other USB ports if the manufacturer assigned a dedicated port. If no dedicated USB port is available, try using a different USB port.
- Tip 4: Check if Siri is functioning.
- Tip 5: Check your Restrictions. Go to Settings → General → Restrictions and check if there are any restrictions enabled for the CarPlay. Disable Restrictions if needed.
- Tip 6: If you face issues with Wireless CarPlay, try with wired CarPlay and see if the issue is fixed.
- Tip 7: Make sure that your infotainment system and iPhone run on the latest firmware version. Update to the latest version if available.
- Tip 8: Forget the car on Settings and try connecting again. Go to Settings → General → CarPlay and tap the car name under My Cars and tap Forget This Car
- Tip 9: Reset your iPhone. This could lead to data loss. Therefore, take a backup of your data and please find a proper guide before proceeding.
Have more CarPlay related issues and fixes? Please share in the comment section below.